Re: [seul-edu] Cutting CD-Roms

> I already have a SCSI-CDROM cutter in the machine and I
> only boot in windows to cut cd-roms.  But I have heard
> there are lots of tools for cutting CD-ROMs on Linux.  I
> am interested in the best programs using a graphical
> interface and the command line.

You can lots of cd writing utilities on Freshmeat.net.
I personaly have used xcdroast, which is a graphical, point
and click cd burner application for X.  It is really easy
to use, and has options for Joliet (windows long file name
support?), and RockRidge (standard long file name support?)
extensions to the iso9660 (cdrom file system) format.

You may also want to check out cdparanoia, as I've heard
that it's a great command line tool if you want to take
the time to learn to use it.

As far as I know, as long as the cd burner is SCSI, the
kernel should support the device.

> PS -- can Linux effectively cut cd's for Mac's and
> Windows machines?  I assume linux uses the same standard
> as windows, but probably not as the mac.  Can it too
> more formats with HFSutils or whatever it's called?

I know it can cust CDs for windows, and since the iso9660
format is a standard, I'd assume that a MAC can read the
cds too, though I'm not sure if it can read the Joliet
(windows) extensions, I'd guess that it can read rockridge.
I'm sure it's in in one of the HOWTOs on burning cds.

hope this helps.

If God didn't mean for us to juggle, tennis balls wouldn't come three to a
can.
    -- Unknown (http://slashdot.org)