Re: [seul-edu] Linux mandate for the Mexican school system

Interesting but hardly *new*, Scott -- the article has a November 1998 date,
and the Scholar Net site cited in the article
(http://luthien.nuclecu.unam.mx/~arturo/scholar/) says it was last modified
11/10/98.

Actually, I remember a lot of buzz about this a year or so ago, but since
then I've heard little. The Scholar Net FAQ includes the following --

"6 What is your time frame for the first deployments?^

"At the time, there are two thousand schools integrated to the program.
These computers have MS products installed, but will be replaced as soon as
possible. Next year we plan to integrate from 20 to 35 thousand more schools."

Since the above was written late in 1998, 1999 *is* "next year," so if the
project is on schedule, this impressive deployment should have happened by
now. Has it? I assume not, or surely everyone would be talking about it. If
not, is it worth our asking what problems were encountered and what we might
do to help it move ahead?

At 12:56 PM 11/17/99 -0700, Scott Raney wrote:

>A new customer of ours at a K12 teacher training school in Mexico just
>brought this article on the new mandate from the Mexican government to
>use Linux in schools to my attention:
>http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,16107,00.html
[rest deleted]
Palo Alto, CA           	 	         ray@comarre.com