Re: [seul-edu] ebook readers and other such devices...

> This isn't Adam's fault, as allnetdevices gets it wrong
> too.  I don't know how to get to the FreePad site.  Qubit looks
> interesting.  As far as I can tell, it should run pretty much any
> standard Linux program, and WWW-based content is no problem either.
> Softbook is part of the Open eBook initiative, so I don't think they
> need to be considered separately from it.  Mobibook claims to have
> downloadable software for Linux, but the only downloadables I could find
> were for WinCE and PalmOS, even on their Mac, Linux, and Unix download
> page.

Sorry about the broken links . I didn't double check them from the article
until it was to late and the Mobibook software seemed like it was for the
PalmPilot with Linux on it, so I didn't try downloading it.  Also, I
know there are a number of other similar projects out there using Linux on
these type of devices. I'll try to get a nice selection of links and post
them.(I'll double check them before sending it to the list..hehe)

> Open eBook looks like something we should look into.  It could be a very
> useful thing for the Open Book Project, and for our Documentation task
> group.  Ramin, you probably know more than the rest of us about
> SGML-related things; could you take a look at it
> <http://www.openebook.org/> for us and see how it relates to things like
> DocBook?  Jeffrey Elkner, you may want to look into it too.  Bruno,
> should we be concerned about transformation mechanisms between EduML and
> OEB?

I would like to hear a more qualified and detailed opinion on the above topics
as well rather than my own. (I have no where near the experience on these
subjects to make a good conclusion) On the surface it appears to me to be very
encouraging though.

 > More generally, is this that SEUL/edu should attempt to become actively
> involved in?  I don't have an opinion on this question yet; I'm inviting
> discussion.

Doug, or to anyone, would a "scratch" board be a useful item on the website? A
place where someone can throw up major/minor topic summaries as they are hashed
out on the mailing list. Problems I've found with mailing lists in the past are
that topic follow ups tend to be drop and in the end little "conclusions" or
work come of the matter. This may be premature since I am new to this mailing
list, so my apologies now if it's inappropriate. I tend to be a fanatic "to do
list" taker myself since I tend to never follow through with ideas to a concrete
conclusion without my constant "to do" reminders. Just an idea.

--
Adam Cody

LINUX - for a free people !