Re: [seul-edu] [Fwd: Child Internet protection act CIPA]

On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 09:40:05AM -0500, J. Nathan Matias wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 10:49:57PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
>
> > My fix would be a squid proxy, with logs checked reasonably frequently.
>

> Good suggestion. There is a pretty good smut filter system for squid out there as well
> with a pretty extensive blacklist. Of course, you can't block everything, but
> if you do check the logs, you should do pretty well.

The technology is the easy part.  Make sure you have clear proceedures
to determine what is ok and what is not; those decisions should not be
left to the techs or sysadmins.  It is politics and don't get fooled into
thinking otherwise.

Just like hosts.allow and hosts.deny, the only real way to do this
is to have a PERMIT list and block everything else.

That's speaking as a ISP AND a parent with two kids subject to
this lunacy.

cfm