Re: [seul-edu] Preliminary thoughts on a Linux in education promotion

On Sun, 25 Nov 2001 23:44, Michael Hall wrote:
> Yes, further to my last 2 cents, before our transition to Linux-based
> school networks, many schools accessed the net and mail via Windows NT
> servers ... they would often be down for as much as a week while viruses
> and worms were cleaned out. The Nimda worm shut down the entire
> Northern Territory Govt net access for a week. People were certainly
> annoyed, but again, just
> didn't realise that there were any options in the matter, or that things
> could be different ... actually, they didn't really care, they just wanted
> their web and mail to work again.
>
> I guess something that a list like this (myself included) needs to realise
> is that most people really don't care about operating systems and software
> development paradigms. They take as much notice of these things as I do of
> toothpaste and junkfood ads. Getting people to care about these issues is
> like getting people to care about greenhouse gases, third world debt,
> starving kids, and
> a host of other objectively very important issues. Does this mean we don't
> try? No, but we need to be in there for the long haul, and we need very
> good PR material. And lots of good working examples ... all the things
> that many people on this list are already doing.

I agree with Michael.  Most people (teaches included) just want something
that is going to make it *easy* for them to get their job done.  Most people
avoid change and want to keep the amount they have to learn to a minimum.  As
ironic as it may seem, this is probably true for many if not most teachers.
And even those of us with a passion for learning usually restrict the passion
to a few chosen areas.  There is simply not enough time to do otherwise.

I think this is one of the deep cultural divides between the average Linux
user and the average Windows user. If computers were cars, the average Linux
user would do all repairs and maintenance themselves and often have made
custom modifications to their vehicle. They would have a passion for learning
about cars, how they work and how to get them to run better. Whereas the
average Windows user just wants to put the key in the inginition and drive.
If it breaks, they take it to a mechanic.  The Linux user can't understand
how the Windows user can put up with a car that stalls all the time.  And the
Windows user thinks this is an annoying but small price to pay for not having
to worry about what goes on under the hood.

This is one reason that I joined SEUL-EDU, as I think making Linux simple is
essential for its long term 'successs'.  (I also think Linux has a crucial
part to play in education.)

One way of making Linux more accessible is to have a single Linux box running
sshd or XDMCP and use the Cygwin-XFree86 X-server to provide access to the
Linux box on top of the existing windows desktop.  See http://www.cygwin.com
and http://xfree.cygwin.com.  I had a cut down version suitable for the above
goals at http://lasp.sourceforge.net/winxterm/, but I've had to take down the
binaries as I'm not hosting the source-code.  I plan to create just a
configuration utility soon (early next year, possibly sooner), as part of my
contribution to 'getting Linux out there'.  I will post to the list when done.

Anyway, count me in for the long haul.  :-)

Cheers,

Rasjid.