Re: [seul-edu] (FWD) Red Hat Proposes Alternative to Microsoft settlement

On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 03:34:37PM -0800, Dan Kubilos wrote:

> Nice thread
>
> I am one of the "in the schools" people.
>
> I promote the h--- out of Gnu/Linux within my district and at other
> venues.
>
> Biggest obstacle is lack of *ix ready technical people on campuses.
>
> I have implemented linux for our internet services because:
>
> When I was hired I was forced to learn enough about sun os to maintain our
> original (1994) email/web server.
>
> I'm not sure how it is faring now, but reports from the trenches regarding
> Mexico's Red Escolar project indicated lack of local technical skills was
> a *serious* problem.

I've been running into that too. I think lack of a large pool of
UNIX/Linux ready admins is one of the real concerns that schools have
in going with an open source solution.  Irrespective of the initiative
with microsoft, I think it would do us well to spend some time
concentrating on training of current school administrators in open
source.  Maybe in conjunction with local LUGS.  Maybe we should
promote Linux by providing free/low-cost training sessions for school
technology admins.

-- alan

--
Alan Chen