[seul-edu] (FWD) webring/mirror/etc

----- Forwarded message from owner-seul-edu@seul.org -----

From: "m.hall" <m.hall@latis.net.au>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 10:47:41 +0930 (CST)
Subject: =?iso-8859-1?Q?webring/mirror_etc?=
To: <seul-edu@seul.org>

After my initial enthusiasm for the web ring idea, I've been thinking about
things a bit more, and now believe that we probably don't need a new
webring/mirror/thingo page. Let's build on what we've already got rather
than start something else and lose time and effort reinventing the wheel.

I'm happy to go with developing the Seul link page. Are others happy with
this becoming the `central' page that we all mirror or link to, for the
time being at least? Are there any better candidates?

What I would like to see change is:

- web-based submission of new links.
- comments on links
- a form of vetting/checking before a link makes it onto the page
(just what the criteria are here I don't know)
- global in scope, with a real effort to include and encourage multiple
languages, and dialogue between languages (translations, monthly summaries,
whatever, from language to language)
- searchable by topic, language
- links not only to `open source education' sites, but to all sites likely
to be useful to people (howtos, tutorials, software, advocacy, etc). This
would become a large database, but if it is going to be THE database then
it can't help being large.

Really, this page is only a small part of what needs to be done. We need to
build a respected international OSS education group to move things forward
(OSEC?) at all levels. There is no reason why the OSEC website's
link/resources page couldn't be/be maintained by Seul's page (is there?).

Other things that we need to do are:

- setup the education sourceforge (CVS at seul.org?).
- look at developing an education distro, or customisation script(s), or
both.
- documentation, translation.
- get LUGs into the show. We need to support them in this with
documentation, software, all of the above. Linux training labs would be a
great project for local LUGS.
- get example projects going. Find donors/sponsors for this.
- run Linux/OSS in Education conferences and expos.
- lobby government.

Just the usual stuff ... I know it's all been raised before and that there
is nothing new here, but I do sense that Linux's day is coming in education.
In a word, I guess what we need is ... unity? collaboration?
organisation? ... not a centralised organisation that attempts to control
everything, but a central, multilingual cyber-bazaar that everyone knows to
go to to find what they're looking for.

Another 2 cents ... I'll have a dollar soon!

Mick

----- End forwarded message -----