Re: X-Terminals (was: [seul-edu] It's quiet--_too_ quiet.)

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I do know the procedure for setting up X
Terminals that you describe below. It's well documented at several Web
sites, and others on this list have impmeneted it (or something closely akin
to it) quite successfully.

What I was looking at here was the possibility of integrating the
client-side approaches of the Open Classroom project -- approaches that
combine Linux and DOS applications on the same clients; go to
www.openclassroom.org and follow the client-side links for the details --
with sometime use of the same clients as X Terminals. What I found is that
that approach will work nicely with '486s with 16 mB RAM. I've also in the
past experimented with yet other variants, such as using '486s in pairs, one
as an X Terminal, the other as an app server, to improve speed. What
impresses me is the variety of ways that do work, making this general idea
suitable for answering a good range of needs.

I abandoned the project not out of frustration, but because I have no need
to deploy X Terminals at the moment, and others who do are moving the
development of Linux-based X Terminals along quite nicely. Were I to need
large numbers of dedicated X Terminals, I am sure I would do something
similar to what you describe ... and certainly anyone else on the list who
has a need to recycle old hardware into X Terminals should consider your
approach.

Palo Alto, CA           	 	         ray@comarre.com