Re: [seul-edu] I NEED HELP

www.linuxdocs.org should point you to hardware HOWTO.  Not every possible hardware configuration is supported.  The more commodity the hardware the better (though Linux has quite broad drivers support these days).  My recommendation would be to try and get hold of SUSE professional edition 7.2 or 7.3 (7 CDs).  Buy it if you can afford it.  It is good value for dollar.  If no cash -- your local LUG may be able to provide disks.  Mandrake is also good for newsbies, though I would recommend 8.0 over 8.1 that is IMHO betaware.

Randy.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, October 27, 2001 12:49 PM
Subject: Re: [seul-edu] I NEED HELP

Get a Pentium Class machine.  You don't need to spend much. 10-20% of the price of a new machine should suffice.  Buy as much add-on memory as you can afford.  This is not a Linux thing.  All intelligent OSs will take advantage of the memory to cache data and accellerate transactions.  You may want a fastish cdrom for installation of software, but it is not essential.

A burner is good if you want to download iso images and burn them.

I have run XFree86 on a 486.  It was not fun even using a lightwight windows manager.  Everything should be fine on a P1.

Randy.