[Fwd: [seul-edu] Apps that have passed ISO Phase 2]

I just received this from Larry Prevett:

"Prevett, Larry" wrote:

>  XEphem
> (license? <http://www.clearskyinstitute.com/xephem/download.html>)
>
> I sent a message to the author
> and asked if there was some way to include the software on the ISO.
>
> I just got this from Elwood Downey, the author of XEphem.
>
> ----
> > So here's my question: would you
> > be interested in doing a special release/demo of XEphem for
> > inclusion in the
> > CD, or giving SEUL permission to put XEphem in some form on
> > the CD, without
> > having the requirement for people to register at your site prior to
> > downloading it?
>
> Hello Larry,
>
> Permission is hereby granted to put XEphem on the SEUL CD. You may put the
> source and an executable too if you care to build it. If you do build an
> executable, please use openmotif to avoid any bugs in lesstif that end up
> reflecting on XEphem. As for data however, you may only use the data that
> comes with the web download, not the data on your purchased CD.
>
> Elwood Downey, President/CEO, Clear Sky Institute Inc., 319-472-2907
> ECDowney@ClearSkyInstitute.com, http://www.ClearSkyInstitute.com

This will allow us to include XEphem on the CD.  The license as stated on the
website would only allow it's use if for educational or non-profit use, which
we couldn't guarantee of everyone downloading our CD image.  This statement
gives us the permission we need to include it, and I'm very happy to see it.
If anyone else has a program with a similar licensing requirement that they'd
like to get into our CD, feel free to emulate Larry and contact the proper
people in charge of the program and ask for their permission.

--
How valuable is my contribution?
Share your feedback at Affero:

 XEphem
(license? <http://www.clearskyinstitute.com/xephem/download.html>)

Doug,

I'm sending this to your address instead of the list, in case
there are issues about this I don't understand. You can forward
whatever you think is appropriate to the list.

XEphem is copywrited, but a very usable version is available
free for download. You can purchase a copy of XEphem to support
the cause if you want to (we did). I sent a message to the author
and asked if there was some way to include the software on the ISO.

I just got this from Elwood Downey, the author of XEphem.

----
> So here's my question: would you
> be interested in doing a special release/demo of XEphem for
> inclusion in the
> CD, or giving SEUL permission to put XEphem in some form on
> the CD, without
> having the requirement for people to register at your site prior to
> downloading it?

Hello Larry,

Permission is hereby granted to put XEphem on the SEUL CD. You may put the
source and an executable too if you care to build it. If you do build an
executable, please use openmotif to avoid any bugs in lesstif that end up
reflecting on XEphem. As for data however, you may only use the data that
comes with the web download, not the data on your purchased CD.

Elwood Downey, President/CEO, Clear Sky Institute Inc., 319-472-2907
ECDowney@ClearSkyInstitute.com, http://www.ClearSkyInstitute.com

----

This is an excellent piece of software and I think it should go in
the ISO. The data he refers to doesn't hurt the functionality, it
just extends it. Are there other issues? What do you think?

L. Prevett
Mathematics Instructor
Cochise College, Sierra Vista, AZ, US
prevettl@cochise.edu