Re: [seul-edu] Article: PCs diverted _INTO MY SCHOOL DISTRICT

I wouldn't go so far as to say that most old hardware is considered toxic waste;
however, certain components do contain hazardous materials that make disposal an
issue. First among these is the monitor, which has a lot of lead in it. Getting
rid of old monitors usually carries with it a disposal fee.

If you take too many old computers under your roof, you'll likely run out of
useful space before you get considered a waste handler, in which case, you'll
simply be regarded as a sucker by whoever dumps their old gear on you.

There are not-for-profits in California and Oregon who do this sort of work, and
you might want to look to them for an example, for a reference to a sister
organization in your area, or simply to be an end user of their services. Check
out: http://www.accrc.org/ and http://www.freegeek.org/

There are others, as well, I'm sure, maybe one in your neighborhood. If not,
start one!

--William