Re: Major interview

On Thu, 02 Sep 1999 23:40:43 +0200, Malonowa <malonowa@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> I'd like to know what people think about commercial edsoft at 5-11yrs old
> for Linux. This is bound to crop up in the interview since it's my real job
> when I'm not doing free stuff.

Personally, I like open source software but I realize that there are some
niches where it may not be the best development model.  I'm quite happy to see
commercial edsoft for Linux, just as I am to see other commercial products for
Linux.  They wouldn't generally be my first choice in many areas, but I'm
an inveterate tinkerer who likes to bend and stretch whatever I have just to
see what I can do with it.

> Topologika appeared on this list a while ago but I didn't see many people
> suggesting which of their apps. might be useful in their classrooms. Is
> this because there's a lack of teachers/parents here for that age level or
> are we just against commercial apps? I'd be interested in porting Mathsbook
> if people might want it.

I suggested a few (of course, I don't remember which just now).  As for the
small response, it might have been partly because of the time of year.  July
and August tend to be free time for teachers in the US, and they may not have
wanted to think too much about this stuff then.  I don't know about other
places.  Ask again and maybe I can annoy enough of our subscribers into
visiting the Topologika website and making suggestions.

Doug Loss            Always acknowledge a fault.  This will throw
dloss@csrlink.net    those in authority off their guard and give
(570) 326-3987       you the opportunity to commit more.
                        Mark Twain