Re: Major interview

At 02:18 AM 9/3/99 +0200, Malonowa wrote [edited]:

>What does "Open Source" mean? "Open Source" software is not "free software". I
>think it's very unrealistic to think that any commercial edsoft companies would
>embrace the free software model.

I agree, and you'll forgive me, I hope, for omitting the rest of your
argument. But the audience for this interview isn't the EdSoft companies -
it is the traditional Linux community. Whatever you (or I) may think about
how essential Open Source approaches are, much of that community is
committed to them. As is, I think, much of this mailing list. And ther has
been work trying to figure out ways to make money writing Open Source (not
successful work, to my eye, but one can hope). So it would be helpful to
discuss the issue as part of the interview -- that's all I intended to say.

>http://www.rebel.com/ don't they sell little celeron systems quite cheaply?

If they do, I can't find them at this URL, The lowest price I found is
US$895 for a Netwinder modem NW324OSNAM. I have seen cheaper sources, though
- none quite as cheap as E-MAchines with Win98, though.

Palo Alto, CA  94303-3603    	 	        ray@comarre.com