Re: Major interview

At 05:16 PM 9/7/99 -0500, Michael A Hamblin wrote:
>On Wed, 8 Sep 1999, Jose C. Lacal wrote:
>
>> ?? Maybe. If you look at the public schools in Dade County (Miami, FL),
>> they have around 50,000 "old PCs" in their schools now. So, let's follow
>> your example: 50,000 x US$400 = US$200 million. I would propose to you
>> that, for that kind of money, there has to be some other alternative to
>> "extend" the usable life of those "old" PCs.
>
>Mmm, depends on your definition of "old PCs". I'm sure you'd find that
>quite a number of those are 486s, which still are quite useful and fully
>capable of running Linux. It depends on your paradigm of course, and how
>your network services are laid out.

If you actually check the district's Web site, you'll find a report in which
they say that 25,565 of their computers, which is half of their computers,
are "obsolete", a term which in context seems to mean pre-Pentium or (for
Macs) pre-PowerPC. The 50,000 number apparently is their TOTAL number of
PCs, not the "old PCs".

Palo Alto, CA           	 	         ray@comarre.com