RE: Hello all (fwd)

Currently my gradebook uses a flat field text data base.  I thought in the
beginning about using an SQL package such as mySQL or mSQL.  I used the flat
field text database design for three reasons: 1) It does not require a
single machine user to set up any external packages such as mSQL, mySQL or
postgresql. 2) It would make it easier to make it compatible with Windows.
3) Speed of deveolpment.

I will add support for an SQL database along with filters to convert between
the most popular SQL databases.  Right now my goals are:
1) Get the actual gradebook implementation down.
2) Clean up the source code.
3) An attendance keeping area.
4) Seating chart maker.
4) A lesson planning/calendar area.

Actually, instead of making it compatible with k12admin it would probably be
just as easy to develop a complete package.  The databases would be kept on
a central server which teachers at thier workstations could connect to.  The
database would contain students names plus information, grades, attendance
etc.....

A complete web interface could be made using cgi or Java which would allow
parents to connect and see thier students grades etc....

Oh well, big dreams for such a small program (at the moment).

David Culp