Re: Cheap hardware X-terms?

Ray Olszewski wrote:

> All that said, I doubt that it makes sense to use a boot PROM approach for
> remote booting. This does impose on the LAN the added burden of supplying X
> itself, via NFS or whatever, to each XTerminal, along with the kernel,
> scratch space for logs, and the usual core Linux stuff. The alternative is
> to run Linux and the XTerminal stuff locally, a setup easily accomplished
> with an 80-meg hard disk, and maybe even with a 40 (on paper it should work,
> but I haven't managed a working setup yet). In my experience, old 486s
> typically have 100 megs or so of hard disk space, making this approach feasible.

I'm sure you're right about a local load of the OS and X-server, Ray.
Do you set these X-terms up to use DHCP to get their network settings?
If so, I'd think you could come up with a standard install that would
work on every machine with no need for local configuration.  If one gets
screwed up, just drop another in its place and rerun the generic install
on the bad one once its problem (I'm thinking hardware here) gets
resolved.