Re: Cheap hardware X-terms?

On Tue, 21 Sep 1999, Doug Loss wrote:

> Slightly different topic.  Has anyone tried using Linux to convert
> old Macs into X-terms?  One of the parochial schools here has received
> a bunch of old Macs that it doesn't know what to do with.  Assuming
> I can get their permission and get Linux M68K (or Linux PPC, depending)
> working on them, what are the chances of using them as X-terms?

How old of Macs? If they are LocalTalk without possibility of going
10baseT you can get a LocalTalk to ethernet bridge for cheap. If you were
to buy one, you could easily get one for $100 and I'd feel ripped off :)
but you only need one for a network, IIRC. I have a friend who got m68k
kernel to boot on a Mac classic 2, but w/o an ext2 partition for root it
didn't get far.

--
Michael Hamblin            http://www.utdallas.edu/~michaelh/
michaelh@utdallas.edu      http://www.ductape.net/