Re: Cheap hardware X-terms?

At 08:03 PM 9/21/99 -0500, Michael A Hamblin wrote [in part]:
>On Tue, 21 Sep 1999, Doug Loss wrote [in part]:
>
>> Slightly different topic.  Has anyone tried using Linux to convert
>> old Macs into X-terms?  ...
>How old of Macs? If they are LocalTalk without possibility of going
>10baseT you can get a LocalTalk to ethernet bridge for cheap. If you were
>to buy one, you could easily get one for $100 and I'd feel ripped off :)
>but you only need one for a network, IIRC.

This is not as good as it sounds. Remember that Localtalk runs at about 160
kbps, or at 2% of the speed of regular Ethernet. Running any significant
number of XTerminals over such a slow line would probably deliver
performance that users would find unsatisfactory. All the thought behind
using XTerminals has focused on LANs that run at least at 10 mbps.

Anyway, do you know if any Mac-based Linux supports Localtalk (not
Appletalk, which is a higher-level protocol, but Localtalk, which is Layer 1)?

Palo Alto, CA           	 	         ray@comarre.com