Database for Software List

For some time I have felt that eventually the Software List should be in
a database. Stephen Quam has expressed an interest in doing this. I have
put together a first cut at what features should be included. Also Bill
Tihen has organized the Software List by category see
http://www.seul.org/archives/seul/edu/Aug-1999/msg00053.html. Bill, what
are your thoughts on the Software List. Following is the list of
features for the database:
Ability to select category of software ( I would suggest using Bill's
see above).
Grade level (ability to select a range of grades including a single
grade from K12+). I put the + to mean above K12. I think it would be a
mistake not to put it in while we are at it.
Language (ability to select software based on available interface
language such as English, French, Chinese,etc.). Do we need to make a
list of all potential languages?
Front end (CLI, X-Window, GNOME, KDE).
Back end (none, list of databases).
Additional possibilities: system resources, license (GPL, etc.), source
language, use of XML.
Everybody what are your thoughts?
Stephen any comments?

Bob