Re: What Do Teachers need to teach?

I have folllowed this dicusssion with keen interest.
This is the most sensible thing I have seen on the subject.

I am a Principal at a small rural school in New Zealand. I have a basic
knowledge of computers. Much of my wn development is self taught. It
involves maintaining my own and school computers, of which we install a
suite of 5 using Win 98 workgroups tomorrow.  I have been struggling with
LINUX for about a month . . but it is still a mystery to me, but I like the
things you people claim it gives us. But Windows works now!!!!!!   I can set
it all up and get it working and my stafff can do things with it right
now!!!!  This is the standard people expoect.  . . . for my staff computers
are a tool . . We are a year 1 to 6 school (Ages 5 to 11 years).
Any thing else and the computers would sit and collect dust.

Computers are to serve a number of purposes
        as a communication tool:  e-mail, multimedia presentations, web pages,
                                word-processing, graphics.
        as an information gathering tool: The net, CD-ROM's
        as an information analysis tool: Data base, spreadsheet, graphing etc.
        as a tool to deliver specific computer assisted learning.

I am not knocking what you are trying to do!!!!  but I have to make things
work now!
My hope is that I can establish a network of interested teachers in
Southalnd NZ, then greater NZ and that we can help each other to get to
grips with LINUX.