[seul-edu] need detailed network advice

To divert from the discussion about trade shows:
    Can someone please recommend a very detailed book or set of instructions
for setting up various server functions? After a year of asking, I finally
got an Internet connection in my classroom today. As of now I have a 486
file server and 6 slow Pentiums networked, each of which has its own /home
directory. I want to centralize the system more, but need step-by-step
instructions on:
1. How to set up NIS so I don't have to enter each user on each machine;
2. How to set up one machine with 2 NIC's as a gateway for all the others to
be able to access the Internet without losing contact with each other (it
doesn't have to be a real secure gateway, because the school district
already has 2 firewalls);
3. How to add more network printers. (Rick, I couldn't get to the machines
today to get those printcap files -- will get back to you Tues.)
4. How to set up old 486's as Xterms.

Though I've seen files and threads that give bits and pieces of info, they
all assume more knowledge than I have. For instance, I don't know how to
recompile a kernel. I am looking for a single source that will give me every
detail I need. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave Prentice
prentice@instruction.com