Re: [seul-edu] School Networking Guide (was: need detailed network advice)

On Sat, 2 Sep 2000, Ray Olszewski wrote:
> 1. Do others on the list see this as a valuable project? If you have an
> opinion on this, please respond, either on the list or privately to me (as

Yes. For me it's not only a "School Networking Guide" but
a " Networking Guide "!

> 3. This one is a bit more personal -- while I will consider taking on the
> role of onverseeing, editing, and contributing to the CONTENT of this
> prospective document, I do not want to take on the "desktop publishing"
> aspects of the project. I personally find applications like Xemacs and LyX
> hard to use, and creating source documents that conform to the LinuxDoc or
> DocBook standards is difficult for me.(Or as I've put it elsewhere -- I want
> to *write* documentation, not *program* documentation.)

By now, I'm a LaTeX expert, I can do even gpic drawings if you
like and a Makefile... No problem with it.

I volunteer for that. I can make _smooth_ your duty
of edition and handle the \index{stuff}, \label{stuff} ... Convert
your Ascii drawings in gpic...

> or DocBook source file easy or interesting or fun. (I know this because the

I don't like DocBook, it's limited to Linux and not flexible
as pure LaTeX. Only Linux "geeks" use DocBook, I'm not a geek,nor
a hacker.

> that's not the solution.) I need at least one person to volunteer to handle
> this step without any help from me (beyond producing the source document in

> this project on. If I do take it on, I see my role as
>
>         finalizing the outline and doling out writing assignments
>
>         writing one or two chapters myself
>
>         serving as general editor
>
>         managing the process of getting user feedback and coordinating
>                 updates (which will require an ongoing commitment
>                 from the volunteer writers and volunteer "publisher")
>
> Finally, some members of this list might find the style of this message
> pushy or offensive (or something worse, I suppose). While that is not my

I like your style, it's very direct and clear, like mine.

> intention in posting it, my intention IS to try to be realistic about what
> this project would take to succeed, and to convey something of my personal
> style to those of you who might be working with me over the next few months.

I'd provide more help if my knowledge in Networks were not so
_scarce_ (what a shame !!).

Plus , I volunteer a translation to Spanish!

Regards/Saludos
Manolo
www.ctv.es/USERS/irmina    /TeEncontreX.html   /texpython.htm
/pyttex.htm /cruo/cruolinux.htm ICQ:77697936 (sirve el ICQ para algo?)

  O'Toole's commentary on Murphy's Law: Murphy was an optimist.