[seul-edu] Linux in schools

I am an 8th grade teacher at a small middle school in Fargo, ND.  We
have purchases a new lab with 30 machines that are using Linux. I
feel very lost. I have run an Apple lab for 12 years.
 I would like to find a management program for my computer lab. I ran
At Ease on my Macs and loved how students could login from any
computer and saved their work on the server.  Does Linux have a
program that is similiar?  I need a keyboarding program appropriate
for 6-8 graders and any other software that is available that would
be good for middle school use. We will be using StarOffice5.2.
 Are we premature in establishing a lab in Linux?  I do not want to
have a lab that the average teacher is afraid to bring a class to to
work or research.
Thanks for any encouragement you can offer.  I am in over my head!!!