Re: [seul-edu] School Networking Guide (was: need detailed network advice)

On Sat, 2 Sep 2000, Ray Olszewski wrote:

> Doug -- If I understand the import of your response to Manuel, it means that
> we still need someone to volunteer for the role of taking this project's
> text documents and putting them into an acceptable file format for

Certainly, I WON'T handle DTD, I don't feel like these days, even
when I admit that there's a straight forward translation from
DocBook<-->LaTeX . So, it's up to you. I use LaTeX only.

> publication by SEUL/edu. I should NOT check off that request as fulfilled.
>
> I agree that non-English versions of the document would be nice to have,
> and, Manuel, I hope the project will go ahead to the point where we have one
> for you to translate.

I hope so.

> >Nevertheless, DocBook is the DTD we're using for our SEUL/edu
> >documentation project guides, since we have tools to easily

That's the sort of things I don't like from pseudo-institutional
linux places, like seul. Why that standard, when LaTeX is far
more general that DocBook, with far more possibilities for having
niceties and with translator to .pdf, .html ....?

> >convert DocBook documents to LaTeX, PostScript, HTML, and a
> >variety of other delivery formats.  As for only Linux geeks
> >using DocBook, so what?

So, it's extremely limited sometimes. How can you get a table
several pages long in DocBook ? How can you get margin comments ?
How two column pages ? Geeks are so stupid that they can't handle
LaTeX and that they can't understand LaTeX has many translators.

We wouldn't have the texinfo, but who cares, if Html is better,
despite RMS may spit.

I've managed to produce face-shaped paragraphs using LaTeX, or
snake-shaped,... you can't get that in DocBook in a million years.

Apart from that, what kind of graphical support  Docbook has ?
Yeah, yeah, geeks don't know about Pstricks, TeXdraw, picture
environment, Metapost or gpic. Because that's the point geeks
are comfortable with, what they know,...

> It works nicely for what we want to do.

If you have graphics, you still have problems for translations.
DocBook is very nice for dull doc.

> > The object is to get the content to users in as wide a variety
> >of forms as possible.

LaTeX translates to  pdf, ps, html and man pages ( the four real
standards).

I think that far more important than following the requirements
SEUL imposes over its doc, is getting the stuff done in any
format !!!

Regards/Saludos
Manolo
www.ctv.es/USERS/irmina    /TeEncontreX.html   /texpython.htm
/pyttex.htm /cruo/cruolinux.htm ICQ:77697936 (sirve el ICQ para algo?)

  Die, v.: To stop sinning suddenly. -- Elbert Hubbard