[seul-edu] Are Computers Getting Too Easy To Use? ;->

from /.

                   Are Computers Getting Too Easy To Use?

       Technology Posted by timothy on Sunday September 10, @08:45AM
      from the can't-computers-use-more-of-a-tarpaper-metaphor? dept.
    An unnamed correspondent writes: "The latest issue of the Journal of
       Electronic Publishing has a paper by Bradley Dilger called The
   Ideology of Ease. Dilger writes that making computers "easy" may also
    make them less useful. 'Ease is never free: its gain is matched by a
   loss in choice, security, privacy, health, or a combination thereof,'
    he says." Some of the allusions seem a little stretchy (I'm not sure
   that Marx has much to do with user interface design) but Dilger makes
     an interesting case for re-thinking the motives behind some moves
   toward "easiness." Especially as GUIs for Linux proliferate, it makes
            sense to think about exactly what constitutes ease.

Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi
--
~ Russia ~ Karelia ~ Petrozavodsk ~ rnd@onego.ru ~
~ Sunday, September 10, 2000 ~ Powered by Linux RedHat 6.2 ~