From: nick@corbettschool.org <nick@corbettschool.org>
To: seul-edu@seul.org <seul-edu@seul.org>
Date: Saturday, September 16, 2000 1:05 AM
Subject: Re: [seul-edu] Classroom administration needs

On Sat, Sep 16, 2000 at 12:37:29AM -0500, Dave Prentice wrote:
> To All:
>     A few things have arisen in my classroom that might be useful in a
SEUL
> administrator's manual.
> 1. Now that remote printing is working, I told the kids to be creative and
> print something. However, when it didn't come out immediately, they
clicked
> "print" 5 or 6 times on each machine. As a result, there was a very long
> queue that I didn't know how to clear. Is there some sort of print queue
> manager available to reorder and/or delete items from the queue?
  Printop on the printserver, if you're using LPRng.  Otherwise lprm and lpc

> 2. The classroom machines boot Xwindows under Redhat 6.2. The login screen
> allows any user to change the default language, reboot, or halt. Kids
being
> what they are, this has happened far too many times when my back is
turned.
> Does anybody know how to make the login screen require a password (e.g.
> root) before allowing these functions? I searched Redhat and Gnome but
> couldn't find anything.
  I assume it's using GDM?  You can just disable those functions by
disabling the system menu in gdm.conf.  In a quick glance at the gdm source
it doesn't look like there is anything there to ask for a password first.
This wasn't the most current source though.

  - Nick Lopez
    kimo_sabe@atdot.org
--
Just stand up to be counted.
I'm holding up one finger to make it easier.