Re: [seul-edu] Re: [novalug] Re: FETC - technology and education --FLA LUGS #3

Hello Gail,

On Mon, 18 Sep 2000 gringey@sendit.sendit.nodak.edu wrote:

<snip>
-->
-->Josh,
-->  I am a teacher at a middle school in Fargo, ND.  We have just
-->installed Caldera2.4 on 30 PC's in our new lab.  I have a few
-->questions about Linux in general.  Our superintendent chose the lab
-->because it was less expensive than a Windows or Mac lab.
-->

First, welcome to Free and Open Software.  We will help you with your
questions to the best of our ability.  Congratulations on your new lab, it
will grow on you I suspect.

-->1. Our superintendent states that schools are going away from students
-->saving work on the server.  He feels that our 230 students should each
-->be assigned to a particular machine.  Last year students could work
-->from any machine.  Is our superintendent accurate?
-->

Students should be able to work from ANY machine period in my opinion.
They can already do things using the internet where their work is stored
"out there" somewhere and they should not lose that ability.  On the other
hand it IS important that they can control their work.  An easy way to do
that is to give them access to removeable media [zip, ls120, floppy,
etc.] and teach them how to place their files on it.  This is *my* opinion
I am not currently working in any capacity at a public school.

-->2. We are using StarOffice 5.2. Does it always take 15 to 20 seconds
-->to load?

How often are you loading it?  Large programs [such as Netscape, emacs,
Staroffice, and Wordperfect] do usually take a bit to get into memory,
however after being loaded they should respond well and fast.  Generally
it should not be necessary to close the program once opened.

-->Our Netscape also takes 10-15 seconds to load? Are we doing
-->something wrong or is this normal for Linux?
-->

I doubt you are doing anything "wrong".  This seems to be fairly typical
of most linux installations (I recall Caldera's version of linux, when I
played with it several years ago was especially slow in this respect,
perhaps that has not changed).

There ARE things you can do to speed it up.  One thing is to use the nice
or renice command to place the command (netscape, staroffice) at a higher
priority, thus causing it to load and be used more quickly.

I have noticed that having less than say 85% full root (also known as /)
partitions tend to keep most distributions fairly happy, when that
partition gets fuller than that, I have noticed a considerable slow down
in said systems performance, you may wish to check to make sure you
haven't filled you working space up.  I'll spare you why I think the above
is true unless/until you indicate you wish to know ;)

 -->3. The cursor in Linux does not change when an application is

There is a VERY simple reason for this.   While the program is loading
your ARE NOT blocked from doing other work [as you are in Mac and
Windows], which can be a bit disconcerting when you are not used to it.
However when you realize that you don't have to wait while Staroffice
loads to launch, say, the GIMP, it might dawn on you what these other
systems have been PREVENTING you from doing for so long.

-->Can that be adjusted?

In light of the above, do you still need to adjust it?

--> -->4. We loaded StarOffice5.2 at the root level.  We reloaded it for a
-->student access account.  Does it need to be reloaded 230 times?  Once
-->for each students personal account?  That is the information that we
-->received from our technical support.
-->

Gawd, I certainly HOPE NOT.  If it does, then Star Office is SERIOUSLY
flawed.....  I'll try and see what I can dig up on it.  Note that I don't
currently have Staroffice installed anywhere as I've not as yet had need
of it.

-->5.  Free software was a draw for our school to choose Linux.

Wonderful!!! Great!! Hallelujah!!! ;)

-->  Is it
-->difficult to download software?

NO.

-->  Do you have to download software to
-->see how it works?

Most software's main websites have screen shots to give you an idea of
what the program is like.  However you do have to install it to get the
real feel.  Luckily this is fairly easy (even on Caldera ;).

--> Is there a way to "try" before you load some
-->software packages? -->

In the linux world it is NOT hard to UNINSTALL a program.  In an RPM based
system such as Caldera, RedHat or Mandrake you would simple use the -e
(for erase) feature built into the rpm executable.  There ARE graphical
frontends that let you do this easily if you are not comfortable on the
command line (I assume linuxconf can do it, I know that xrpm can).

You can also load the software packages on only a few trial machines, or
load them onto an "application" server from which all the other machines
then run them.  If you would like to do it this way, I'm sure we can walk
you through it.  If you are accostumed to Mac and Windows way of doing
things it will take some time to adjust to the possibilities that are
inherent in the X window's way.  You WILL be pleasantly surprised at them,
I think ;)

-->6. Did we make a mistake using Caldera2.4 instead of RedHat?

You can switch anytime you wish to....  It doesn't have to cost you
money, however it will cost you time.  Whatever linux you invest your time
in will be worth it in the long run (including using several different
distros if you so choose), the knowledge is cumulative and generally
applies in more than one situation.  [unlike the... oh just reboot
"solution" offered in other OS's]

-->
-->7.  I am a classroom teacher.  My goal is to be proficient in software
-->run on Linux.

Which software have you already found?  What software are you looking for?
What needs to be written to make your life easier, more fun, more relaxed,
and ultimately more effective at teaching said software or your primary
subjects.

-->  I want to learn how to troubleshoot. I do not
-->currently have the energy or the interest to get in to the heart of
-->Linux commands.  Are there workshops or materials that can meet my
-->needs?
-->

You haven't indicated which applications you need proficiency IN (I
assume StarOffice and Netscape, there are SO MANY MORE). There
ARE workshops, materials, private consultants, educational institutions,
tutorials, local Linux User's Groups, etc. that CAN help you dependent on
which type of help you need.  Obviously some may be free (gratis) and some
may not.

-->8.  I would like to be a teacher who will promote Linux in schools
-->because that is what we are running.

I hope that you will be a teacher who promotes Linux in schools because it
WORKS for you and is the best choice for our future generations.  If it
doesn't work, it needs to be fixed so it does.  With Linux it CAN be
fixed, by you and us together.

-->  So far,  I don't have anything
-->more than a word processing package.  Is there a keyboarding package
-->that is appropriate for grades 6-8?
-->

There are at least two listed at www.linuxforkids.org.  If you need me
to I look up the exact names of the packages.  I believe "typist" is one.
What are you looking for in a "keyboarding" package?

-->9.  Is Linux really ready for schools?

We DON'T KNOW yet.  We don't know exactly what the schools need.  We will
work with them and help them, but we have to know what is truly needed.
Part of it depends on the needs of the schools.  I know of several that
have linux servers directly handling their internet connectivity and the
school administration doesn't even know Linux exists.  I know of very few
that have implemented labs as you have as of yet.  I believe there will be
a landslide of linux in schools in the next few years as pioneers (like
you) discover just how useful, cheap, and fun it is.

--> Is it user friendly for the
-->average teacher to bring a class to the lab and enhance her
-->curriculum.
-->

No more so than Windows or Mac.  I've not yet met a teacher that was
interested in handling the networking and administration aspects of the
any lab regardless of OS involved.  I also think it is naive of school
administration to believe that the teacher who is *supposed* to be
concentrating on teaching the students subjects (other than administration
and networking) should be spending THEIR VALUABLE TIME on said
administration and networking.  The school should hire a contractor or
full time employee to manage both the students labs AND the adminstrations
computers [of course this manager should work with the TEACHERS to get
them what they NEED for their courses].  Unfortunately it seems this is
rarely done.

-->Gail
-->
-->