Re: [seul-edu] App idea: classroom permissions manager

----- Original Message -----
From: Tom Hoffman <tom_hoffman@mac.com>
To: <seul-edu@seul.org>
Sent: jeudi 21 septembre 2000 02:58
Subject: [seul-edu] App idea: classroom permissions manager

> I am getting closer to putting together a linux writing lab in my 7th
grade
> classroom.  I'm getting donated hardware (thanks Brown U.), and I'm
planning
> on making an independent network in my room for 9 machines.  I will be
using
> NIS/NFS.
>
> One application that I think would be useful is a graphical front end that
> would allow me to display and change the group memberships for the
students
> in an individual class quickly (by clicking a radio button, for example).
> This would allow me to have, for example, a group of "finished" students,
> who would have permission to play a game, and a group of "not-in-trouble"
> students, who might, for example, have theming or other nice privileges.
> Having an easy to use front end would allow the teacher to turn on the
> gaming or other privileges during the course of a class, as students
> finished working.
>
> My intuition is that it would be a fairly trivial program to write, but it
> is beyond my skill at this moment.  Anyone intrigued?

I asked about this kind of thing many moons ago since it would be very
useful.

More to the point is if such a system could update configuration files of
programs for groups of students as well. Imagine for example, a program has
certain levels of difficulty and the teacher wants to introduce
features/difficulty levels at the pupils' learning pace.

I expect the design of such a system is much more difficult than the actual
implementation. I'm no networking expert.

Roman.