RedHat and education (was Re: [seul-edu] seul-edu posting guidelines / Introduction)

On Tue, 04 Sep 2001, Kerry Kim wrote:

> After all that talking, people here were
> itching to do something.  So we've met with some local area
> schools and
> non-profit organizations and have begun soliciting donations
> of computer
> hardware, software, and services.  We've also committed to
> demonstrating
> a prototype "open source computer lab" at an educational
> conference in October.

Great!  Which conference?  Maybe we can get some SEUL/edu people
there for support.

> One of the short term things I hope we can do (with
> all your
> help) is do some homework on what open source K-12
> applications are
> available and install/demo these on this computer lab concept.

Take a look at the SEUL/edu software pages
<http://www.seul.org:8080/wiki/edu/Software> or Les Richardson's
database version of the same <http://richtech.ca/seul/>.  They
list a few hundred educational apps.

>  Longer
> term, I hope we can influence those application developers
> that write
> critical software, to make their applications available on
> open source platforms.

We will be very happy to help in that effort.  In the meantime,
you might consider helping some of the various free/open source
projects that are working at developing such apps, too.

--
Doug Loss           Advertisements contain the only truths
drloss@home.com     to be relied on in a newspaper.