Re: [seul-edu] Superior alternative to MS Encarta Class Server

Harish Pillay 9v1hp wrote:

> Hi.  I am now faced with having to reluctantly allow the Microsoft
> Encarta Class Server as a solution for some of our customers.
> Obviously I would rather not.  Is there any one who has looked at
> this MS solution and found an open source/better alternative?

A quick look at this seems to show it as being similar to some of the
Linux-based software we list as Intranet software.  Depending on what
the intended use of the Encarta Class Server is, one or another of
these may meet the need.  I think where MS has a leg up is in their
partnering agreements with various textbook publishers.  But I'm not a
teacher and am likely giving too much (or too little) weight to
various features of ECS and the possible open source alternatives.
Would some of the rest of you take a look and weigh in with opinions?

--
Doug Loss                 Always do right.  This
Data Network Coordinator  will gratify some people