Re: Seperate list or consolidated listing? (was Re: [seul-edu] Neweducational app--reading)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
To: <seul-edu@seul.org>
Sent: Saturday, September 08, 2001 3:33 PM
Subject: Seperate list or consolidated listing? (was Re: [seul-edu] New
educational app--reading)

*By my count, there are fifty postings of new educational software in
*seul-edu, the vast bulk of all content in the past week.

Actually, since the beginning of July, we have had ~85 that are on this
subject that Doug has posted.

*I've only been on list for about a week, but find this disruptive.  Any
*possibility we could consolidate the listing, or have a seul-edu-sw list
*to which such announcements (and discussion) would be appropriate?

Adding these messages to the list does a couple of things... most folks on
the list are just lurkers, and they wait to see what comes by that is of
interest.  Listing the apps in the messages this way allows these folks, who
may not have the time, bandwidth, or desire to search for apps to know that
apps are developed or in development.  As there are few lists around that
actually cater to education and Linux, we are the focal point

The second point is the SEUL archives are crawled by search engines
regularly, and it is an easy way to disseminate the presence of Linux
Education Application information.  A *very* valuable service to the rest of
the Linux community.

Btw, this is the *only* time Doug has done bulk listngs of this nature and
scale in almost 3 years, and now is the normal time for teachers to be
searching for stuff for the new school year.  I think we can deal with the
status quo.
*Cheers.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>