Re: Seperate list or consolidated listing? (was Re: [seul-edu] Neweducational app--reading)

Harry McGregor wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Sep 2001, Karsten M. Self wrote:
>
> > By my count, there are fifty postings of new educational software in
> > seul-edu, the vast bulk of all content in the past week.
>
> Doug Loss (kinda the coordinator of SEUL/edu as an online community)
> regulary posts new apps as he runs accross them.  It happend that he dove
> into sourceforget this week, and we got hit with a lot of them.  Normaly
> it's less than an average of 1/week, maybe 2/week.

Harry's right, this was an abnormal occurrence.  The problem is, there's no
comprehensive list of Linux software for education other than ours (that I know
of).  So I try to report on each package I find when I find it, to get it on the
record on our mailing list.  I also use the mailing list archives as a primary
source for my fortnightly Linux in education reports and for the SEUL/edu software
listings, so having these on the mailing list makes it much less likely that they'll
be overlooked (by me) in those instances.  Usually there are only a few new packages
listed over the course of a couple of weeks, but once in a great while I find an
overlooked (by me again) repository of educationally-applicable software.  Then the
floodgates open.

On a slightly different but related note, there's no reason why I should be the only
one to list new educational apps here.  If any of you find something that's not
already listed in our software lists, please let us know about it!

One possibility is for me to combine the listings I find (when I find a bunch) into
one large message listing multiple packages rather than separate messages for each.
The reasons I haven't done that are that I don't often find enough packages at one
time for that to make sense and that with individual messages I can categorize the
application type in the subject.  Unless there are strong objections, in the future
I'll put large lists of apps all in one message with the categorization as part of
each app's listing.  Does that sufficiently address the concern?  Of course Karsten,
I can CC you for each listing, giving you double the amount if you like (looks
skyward, whistling disarmingly).

--
Doug Loss                 Always do right.  This
Data Network Coordinator  will gratify some people