Re: [seul-edu] Linux in Universities

Three months ago, I set up a Linux web/ftp server for the General
Requirements Unit English department at United Arab Emirates University.
It's at: http://www.ugruenglish.uaeu.ac.ae

The university's official policy is that *all* machines on campus run
Windows 2000. (Although that doesn't stop them from having old 486's and
Pentium I boxes running Win9x on two-thirds of the teachers' desks!! Also,
the university Web server runs Solaris.)  Upper management has no idea we're
running Linux.  The beauty of it was, we didn't have to do any purchasing to
set it up--just recycle an extra PC.

The only other Linux boxes at the university are my and another colleague's
desktops that we have set up to dual-boot.

Jeff Nelson