Re: [seul-edu] Linux for Georgia Schools [OT?]

On Monday 02 September 2002 11:46, you wrote:
> Look at Linux Terminal Server Project and its links, especially to
> K12LTSP, which has a Red Hat distribution for schools which costs
> $15.00 on a set of disks (open source - of course you could download
> for free) and allows use of old PCs as terminals, even without hard
> drives (noisy and failure-prone) and floppies (BTW running RAID on
> the server is faster and safer than using hard drives on the
> desktop).  With icewm, as small window manager on the server, and
> bootable NICs the LTSP clients can be up in seconds -- see for
> example the site of the Yorktown High School Linux User Group (in
> Arlington Virginia, not Yorktown VA).

Thanks for the pointers on LTSP. One of our members has been doing LTSP
installations and support as part of his consulting business, so that
direction is being promoted heavily in our group. I can definitely see
how a server / thin client configuration could offer a lot of solutions
to both the political and technical challenges of bringing Linux into
certain school environments.

However, while we will surely be considering options like LTSP in our
delivery evaluations, our project outline suggests that making those
evaluations effectively calls for a couple of prerequisite steps. First,
we want to make a reasonable, general analysis of which Computer/IT
application areas are currently proving successful and useful for the
various constituencies of K12 schools. Second, knowing the preferred
application goals and our available abilities, resources and
technologies, we want to set the target criteria for selecting the
institution or environment for our "proof of concept" installation.

Basically, before we chose between horses, mule team or dog pack, we want
to generate a good description of what the driver, cargo and the terrain
factors are going to be. Admittedly there is a lot of interdependence
across the factors that makes their order of evaluation somewhat
arbitrary, but we had to choose to start somewhere!

Again, any directions or links to existing reports, research and
evaluations on the state of general Computer and IT use in K12 schooling
would be most helpful. Also, as this thread isn't directly connected to a
SEUL-edu project and may therefore be considered OT by the list
providers, please use your discretion and reply privately (aaron@pd.org)
if you feel that's more appropriate.

Thanks!

peace
aaron

> NAMES (Names Are My Excellent Specialty):
[...snip: many other amusing acro-names...]

All I can say is Ouch! And then Ouch Again! :-)
Thanks for list of Name & Acronym suggestions. You have conquered the
seemingly impossible task of making our LINGAS idea seem truly
inspired and respectable. :-)