No Subject

This is a good idea. It reminds me of the "kit" idea we've discussed
on
schoolforge-discuss: a kit containing the ingredients for a standard

workshop introducing open source tools for schools. In this
instance, we
could build a "kit," including the cd of apps being developed, which
someone
could use in a "day" at a school. Sort of like the kits you can buy
with the
ingredients of a birthday party.

David
Quoting Dan Kegel <dank@kegel.com>:

> IMHO trying to coordinate this kind of thing worldwide or even
statewide
> is problematic.  Go ahead and organize a "Day", but don't fix a
date;
> let every group who wants to join in do it on their own timetable.

> That means the central organization should be a continuing
resource
> for those who want to organize a "Day" any time.
> - Dan
>
> David Bucknell wrote:
> >
> > The Idea - I like the idea of a day very much and a deadline
might help
> make
> > it happen.
> >
> > Name - I'd be interested in the education angle, so although I'd
like to
> see
> > a free Software Day -- something like an international
get-out-the-vote
> day,
> > only you set up install parties instead of voting booths -- but
I'd also

(http://www.li.org/linuxhistory.php).
> > Both too soon ;-).
> >
> > Remember when people were having those "wire a school" days?
Maybe we
> could
> > jump off from that format.
> >
> > David
> >
> >  Quoting Chris Shaw <chrisjshaw@compuserve.com>:
> >
> > > I like the idea of having access to some shared material to
help with
> > > missionary work - I don't know anything like enough to do that
myself.
> > > Having a coordinated time to have a shot also sounds good.
> > >
> > > Titles are not everything, but words have associations and
carry
> messages.
> > > Often these things are different depending on the country /
culture
> that
> > > you
> > > are in.  So here is my small contribution to thinking about
the words
> you
> > > choose from my (UK) point of view, sorry if it sounds like
rubbish to you
> :
> > >
> > > Free = Cheap giveaway, usually not worth having, seedy
salesmen.
> > > Open Source = Not much, something technical and boring
perhaps.

> > > I would have thought the kind of words we want should strike a
chord
> with
> > > folks in education who, I would say, are generally in the
business of
> > > working communally for the good of society.  I think words
like Public,
> > > Community & Shared might be good which could lead to titles
like
> Community
> > > Software Day, Public Software Day etc.
> > >
> > > Just a thought,