Re: My doubts about Debian choice

Just a few thought to  debate JFrancois non-technical viewpoints:

(1).  IMO, the Debian choice has been the best one:  First  and  not
least, on philosophical grounds [please, do not tell me 'philosophy'
isn't  important  to Linux - in many ways, we're all together inhere
on ideological [not technical]]  grounds;  Second and not last, it's
also been a very good choice from the 'strategical' point  of  view:
Debian  is  a  'free'  group  so  far and they seem to keep up their
approach whereas RedHat is a for-profit endevour which will grow and
start manipulating code and strategies to defend it's own interests;

(2).  I do not believe Debian is an anarchic group: it just  uses  a
'free-will-social-contact'  approach.   This implies that volunteers
cannot be forced like soldiers  to  do  things they neither like nor
consider UNimportant.  In this, I'm pretty sure  many  hackers  will
give  **all  they  have**  (time,  energy, will, spirit and more) to
create packages and  a  system  which  may  be universal (i.e.  used
along and across the entire planet by people from all  cultures  and
degrees  of development).  IMO, this is an **historical chance** for
the Hacker Community: You'll be  able to give tools for development,
education and research which in _practical terms_ get  converted  to
more  beans  & bread over the table, better life quality, less child
mortality, better water, less erosion,  more rational use of natural
resources and much, much more.  What I'm  mentioning  is  neither  a
movie  nor  an overkill: it is reality.  I've been travelling myself
over Asia and South America and I feel free software can do a lot of
good.  IMO, we've got to  have  that  on scope, all the time.  Also,
many of these aspects I mention _could_ be derived from Debian's  so
called  'social contract', as I understand it.  Having this in mind,
and mentioning it to technical guys who, perhaps, haven't thought of
these aspects, may be crucial for the moral and engagement spirit of
many of 'our' hackers.  I'm pretty sure any hacker would feel damned
proud to know 'his' system is  being used somewhere on the mountains
of  Nepal  or  by  the  Food   and   Agriculture   Organization   in
underdeveloped  countries  to,  say,  fight  off  erosion  and  seek
groundwater, etc.;

(3).  About useful software applications: Don't worry, you'll get so
many requests you'll many times fall asleep on the key-board :-)

Cheers,

    Aldo