Re: SEUL: Proposition for a simplified kernel recompiling proced

On 04-Feb-98 Kevin Forge wrote:
> George Bonser wrote:
>  Just be careful not to Achieve what OSS did with the sound driver.
> Ie.. They
> modularized it so It can be all binary and then be confided from
<snipped>

This is about using a debian utility that will put the kernel into a ".deb"
package then run a script that will turn around and do "dpkg -i" to install
that package as the current kernel.  It has nothing to do with what is in the
kernel or the modules.

This has been suggested by George as a user-friendly way of re-compiling the
kernel.  But it just adds a step.

The kernel will be compiled into a zImage file and then packed into a debian
package file, then the script that did this so far will call dpkg to turn
around and unpack the kernel to replace the current one (same as make zlilo).

It is my opinion that this is going out of the way to produce a kernel.  If we
are going to have to create a script to do all this anyway, why not do it the
normal way and skip the debian package in the middle?

My question: is there a valid reason to make the debian package in the middle,
just to turn around and install it on the same machine?

---
Rick Jones
rickya@siservices.net
I always turn to the sports pages first, which record people's accomplishments.
The front page has nothing but man's failures.
                -- Chief Justice Earl Warren