Re: SEUL: Proposition for a simplified kernel recompiling proced

On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, Rick wrote:

> In your original message you talked about scripting it so dpkg -i etc. are run
> automatically...couldn't we just as easily script the normal make commands?  I
> use the normal make commands and it replaces everything for me as you are
> talking about without having to go through the process of creating a deb
> package first.

It makes it a lot easier to revert to an old kernel (including its
modules) if you have to by booting the rescue disk (rescue
root=<my_root_partition> )  and running a single command ...
dpkg -i --force downgrade <old-kernel-package>

This will reinstall the old kernel and modules.  Since the kernel and its
modules are all in a single compressed package ( the .deb file ) it makes
housekeeping a little easier.

George Bonser
http://www.debian.org