Re: SEUL: Text vs. X

Erik Walthinsen wrote:

> Jean-Francois Martinez wrote:
> > > The right thing to do is allowing the user to start X from the command
> > > line but making it easy to switch to XDM once he knows X works.
> Donovan Rebbechi wrote:
> > yep.
>
> No.  Our target user doesn't give a damn how the machine works.  (S)he
> simply wants to write a letter to their Mom, or their boss.  Asking them to
> use startx until they feel comfortable with XDM is asking them to
> understand something they don't care about.
>
> > > We must insure he knows how to set up XDM and how to return to command
> > > line.
> > yep
>
> NO!  SEUL exists to make computers easier for people to use, not to force
> them to learn something that doesn't matter to them.
>
> > > That means than we must not expect the user goinh to RTFM.  The
> > > info must come to him.
>
> And we must give him only the info he wants and needs.  Forcing a user to
> understand how the machine works is like requiring a driver to understand
> how their automatic transmission works.  I'm not saying they shouldn't, I'm
> saying they must *not* be required to.
>
> > good point. Again, menu shells are great info providers, since you can
> > walk them through some pre-amble before they fire up anything. I hope you
> > guys aren't sick of hearing about my menu-shell idea already ... (-:
>
> We need a shell of this kind, but it must only be a fallback for the case
> where X doesn't work.  Nothing more.
>
> > now this sounds like a smart thing to do ...
>
> Existing distributions already do this.  We needs to take it one step
> further, providing a text-mode program that can help them fix their
> machine, and make sure it is *always* available.  On my machines I add a
> sulogin on tty9 that's *always* active, which has saved me several times
> from bad boots and shutdowns.

I have found that among DOS/Win3.11 users the biggest problems occurred
with
the ones who NEVER saw the command line ( 'win' was the last line in
Autoexec.bat )  Users who come into it with the same amount of newbines
have fewer problems if they are required to type WIN at the prompt to go
to the GUI.  The reason is simple.  The command line is there so they
experiment.
I am all for 'X' and use it most of the time ( KDE is a dream come true
)
but I don't think it is wise to hide the CL from newbies.  Make it
unnecessary
yes ... but don't hide it.

--
: "Through the firewall, out the router, down the T1, across the
: backbone, bounced from satellite, Nothing but net."