Re: SEUL: Text editors.

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> Hi. I've tried out several text editors. I have gone through almost
> everything on the linux apps page (all except SeX and scriptum.)
> http://www.redhat.com/linux-info/linux-app-list/
> And so far, Nedit still seems convincingly superior (for our purposes).
> Ithas very windows-ish key bindings and a lot of nice pulldown menus.

Most X Based editors are OK.  Nedit could be a default editor ( the one
that pops up when you double click on a file that may be text )
... This is part of the 'S' in our title

> Red also looked interesting. Online help + nice dialogue boxes.
>
> THe other editors there didn't look as suited to our purpose. Can post
> detailed reviews when I'm awake.
>
> The most user friendly console editor I've seen to date is pico. THere
> areother editors with similar setup... I mean with the options displayed
> on screen. (on sunsite) I'll check them out soon.

I CAN'T use pico.  I have tried.  it just doesn't suite me very well.
Why ?  I learned about PCs on a DOS/Win3.0, I then played around with
a Coleco Adam ( I've only met 3 people who recognize the name as a
computer ), Apple 2, Commodore 64/128 Macs and of course more DOS/win
PCs.
I never quite got WordStar down ( even though my current console editor
is allegedly like it ... JOE ).  Word Perfect 5.0/1 ( can't remember
which I touched first ) was "easy".  All the Windows Word processors
imitated it.  MSDOS edit.com is like it too.  What I am getting at here
is that this may be the only app the SEUL needs to write from scratch.
a text editor with basic functionality.
Specifically an edit.com lookalike.  SEUL won't be so S without it.

--
: "Through the firewall, out the router, down the T1, across the
: backbone, bounced from satellite, Nothing but net."