Re: SEUL: Text editors.

Cyberdyn wrote:

> On 15-Feb-98 Kevin Forge wrote:
> - -> Most X Based editors are OK.  Nedit could be a default editor ( the one
> - -> that pops up when you double click on a file that may be text )
> - -> ... This is part of the 'S' in our title
>
> Nedit isn't free it's linked to motif.

This point had escaped me ... I use several X editors and can't remember
the name of sume.  I haven't found many with design problems, but I have
found a few that don't work ( core dumps etc... )
Nedit must have been 1 of those I didn't use since I don't have Motif
( can't afford it )

> - -> I CAN'T use pico.  I have tried.  it just doesn't suite me very well.
> - -> Why ?  I learned about PCs on a DOS/Win3.0, I then played around with
> - -> a Coleco Adam ( I've only met 3 people who recognize the name as a
> - -> computer ), Apple 2, Commodore 64/128 Macs and of course more DOS/win
> - -> PCs.
>
> Can you use pine?  If you can use edit.com you can use pico.  If you can use
> lynx or pine, you can use pico.  I think you are thinking of vi.  Pico has
> all the commands listed at the bottom of the screen.  It's an editor version
> of pine.
>
> BTW, pico isn't free either.  It may be free enough but that's debatable.

I'm not too worried about what's fully free.  As long as it can be
included in a commercial distro and a free distro.  I only know about
usability.  see below.

> - -> I never quite got WordStar down ( even though my current console editor
> - -> is allegedly like it ... JOE ).  Word Perfect 5.0/1 ( can't remember
> - -> which I touched first ) was "easy".  All the Windows Word processors
> - -> imitated it.  MSDOS edit.com is like it too.  What I am getting at here
> - -> is that this may be the only app the SEUL needs to write from scratch.
> - -> a text editor with basic functionality.
>
> This is a very strange thing to say.  I can use edit.com blindfolded but
> can't do a damned thing in WP5.0/1 without using a menu pop-up and scanning
>            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> the menu's for what I want to do.  F5 opens a file in WP but alt-o does in
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> all MS products.  F7 exits WP but alt-x exits all MS products.  alt-s saves
> in MS products but, I think it's shift F7 in WP.
>
> Where's the similarity?

The highlighted comment is WHAT made WP51 easy for me.  You didn't need
memorize Keybindings.  That is good in the long run, but when you just
need to edit a few small files to customize your system or fix a
problem, Drop down menus are where it's att ( see my last post about 1
real world example )
If you don't remember 'F5 to open new file' you will remember 'alt to
drop down menu and arrow keys to find what I want'
As for keybindings.  I can't think of a single reason to not have 2 or
3 keybindings for some functions
--
: "Through the firewall, out the router, down the T1, across the
: backbone, bounced from satellite, Nothing but net."