Re: SEUL: Text editors.

On Sun, 15 Feb 1998, Mark Stone wrote:

> I've used the TkDesk editor a while back, and don't remember being very
> impressed with it. But it's been a while. I've stated before on this list,
> and I'll say it again: Tkedit is a very intuitive and well designed
> editor. It should also be the right kind of freeware. And it doesn't
> require anything as top heavy as motif or lesstif to support it.

It could be OK. The other free graphical editors (MEdit and xe ) weren't
that flashy either. The point is that we want something that's very
simple, doesn't look too daggy,  and has the basic functions (look for
cut&paste, search, pull down
menus, windows-like key bindings and maybe word wrap. Auto indent is nice
but by no means essential. )

The people who really want a powerful editor can always use emacs. But
most of our audience should be OK with a fairly spartan editor.

We still need to test
TkDesk and SeX.

At this stage,

MEdit
XE

are the clear front runners IMO.

Nedit and Red are good, but are disqualified as default editors because
they are motif based.

I will do some feature lists, detailed descriptions, screenshots and long
winded reviews of XE, MEdit, Xcoral, and also I'll try to find a TkDesk
editor that will run with Tk8.0 , and then test SeX.

The other graphical editors either weren't that suitable namely ( Xjed
which isn't really graphical, and xemacs/emacs/vimx which you all know
about... good but more like programmers editors. ) or sucked so badly that
one would hesitate to even include them let alone default to them.

BTW, how do you take a screen capture ??

-- Donovan