Re: SEUL: Stopping dreams

I just found a brain dead solution that is so simple it escaped us all.
put 'startx' as the last line of '~/.bashrc'

You will then be sent to X as soon as you enter the correct password.
All we need to do is take it a step farther and make a pretty 'GUI
looking' Login screen and we achieve the "benefit" of XDM without
any of the problems.
You can use practically anything as the Login screen and since GPM
is already running at this point you can actually make SEUsers
feel like they are in Windows.  By the time they figure out this
is a text screen dressed up in GUI cloths they will already be
veterans and consider this "cute"

"How do we deal with broken X in this setup?"
Simple; you C+A+f1 and log in as a different user ( possibly root )

It gets simpler when you consider that this '~/.bashrc' would be
set this way for the default user but not for root.  For other
users there could simply be a buton/tab/menu option.  That says
"always start in X ?"

--
: "Through the firewall, out the router, down the T1, across the
: backbone, bounced from satellite, Nothing but net."