Re: SEUL: Stopping dreams

George Bonser wrote:

> On 16-Feb-98 Kevin Forge wrote:
> > I just found a brain dead solution that is so simple it escaped us all.
> > put 'startx' as the last line of '~/.bashrc'
>
> That is a standard method of starting X on the SunOS workstations at work.  The
> script checks to see if your terminal device is a console and if you are
> already running X.  If the respective answers are yes and no, it asks you if
> you want to start X-Windows.
>
> a blind .bashrc start is not a good idea if you are logging into another vc and
> already have X running or are telnetting into the box ;)
>
> As for a "gui looking login screen" a whiptail script can give you a yes/no box
> asking if you want to start the windowing system ... IF you are logging in from
> a console AND if X is not already running. It would be a pain in the rump if
> you often switch between terms in text sessions, though.  Maybe it should only
> ask if you are logging in to tty0 and X is not running.

I am new to Linux and this 'startex' in ~/.bashrc idea just sort of
pooped
into my head.  I posted before thinking.  When I log in to another
terminal
it gives me a message about not being able to start X when it's already
running then it frezzes.  ctrl+C gets me out of that and to a nice
command
prompt.  All you need to change is that message so that it says the same
thing and then "...ctrl+C to go to command line" ( or whatever )
--
: "Through the firewall, out the router, down the T1, across the
: backbone, bounced from satellite, Nothing but net."