Re: SEUL: Text editors.

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:
<sniped so meny good points it's embarasing>

> Likewise, having to hit the start button (instead of left-click on the
> root window) seems like a waste of time to me. Using a crippled editor
> like ee or pico also seems like a waste of time to me when I can work more
> productively in vi. Try to distance yourself from your personal
> preferences and think about the newbies who've never seen anything except
> a few Win95 / Mac machines.

This is something SEUL should try to take into account when choosing
apps.
95%+ or our target users fall into 1 category.  people who have used
some flavor of MS Windows before.  the other 5% or so will be total
newbies ( never touched a PC of any kind ) and a few Mac users who can't
wait any longer for Rhapsody.  For the first grope the more Windows
95ish
the software the easier to them.  For the second anything will do since
they are learning from scratch,  for the 3rd this chosen software will
be
a little tough but they won't need to read a lot of manuals to get
going.
I have sean how quickly Mac users pick up Windows, the only compliant is
that they can't keep the silly thing running.
As for users of other OSs.  It's gona take a particular app being
unavailable on OS/2 to make an OS/2 user switch, unless he just wants
to try Linux for fun, in which case any old distro will do.
Same goes for SunOS, BE, BSD, AIX, VAX etc...

Forge
--
: "Through the firewall, out the router, down the T1, across the
: backbone, bounced from satellite, Nothing but net."