Re: SEUL: Re: I am *not* giving up

> If you aren't going to give up, I suggest you do several things to deal
> with the level of useless talk:
>
> 1. Banish non-programmers from the early development.
>
> You've heard as much as you need to hear from them about what they
> need. Most of the people on this list don't have the first idea about
> how to fix a Linux distribution, because they don't have the basic skills.
> Yes, they can tell you what they don't like, but that's already happened,
> and now they are just making noise.
>
> 2. Shut down the mailing lists.
>
> These lists are 99% noise. The 5-10 people in SEUL who known how to program
> should go off on their own and address the problems they already know
> about, off of a public list, until they have something to release.
>
> 3. Hand-pick your staff.
>
> It's too early in the project to concern yourself with democracy and fairness.
> Take the few people who you are sure are capable, and do the job with them.
> The rest can join later.
>
> When you guys show that you can write ONE USEFUL PROGRAM, people will take
> you seriously. Until that happens, SEUL is just a big noise.
>
> 	Bruce Perens

Franly I find this desolating.  I started a project because I found
than this was not moving fast.  I didn't try like you are doing to
kill SEUL in order to vampirize it.  I do not like this tone of
superior god coming to the unwashed masses.  It is this lack of
empathy by people who learnt Unix the golden way who harmed Linux from
the start.

Omega.

SEUL has much non-programmers.  Most people who came are those who
have been burnt by the wonderful distributions set by the wonderful
people making distributions.   At least theyu know where it burns.

The error is to try to make this a conventional project.  Launch them
on the net for finding interesting apps and packaging them.  Give them
something they are skilled enough to do.  You will get work done, you
will get something to show (a repository) and you will get them to be
proud of them.

--
			Jean Francois Martinez

The worthy man is the one who would drink muddy water if such were the
water of truth.