SEUL: From the debian-users list

------- Forwarded Message
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: SEUL packaging, etc.
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 1998 16:02:00 GMT
From: Ian Watkins <ianw@cyber.net.pk>

FE> > I would like to make it almost trivial for a user to install a
FE> > package, i.e. click in a hypertext help/wizard window and it
FE> > will install what is required for functionality set "X".

I couldn't agree with you more Fred. I thoroughly enjoy Linux, but I
found it hard to get into. I am slightly above an average user having
spent 10 years on mainframes, some assembler, some C++ and the last 5
years supporting Windows installations.....

There does seem to be a tendency within the Unix community that if it
isn't a bit difficult to do or use then we must have done something
wrong <g>

I would support in anyway that I am capable in providing some sort of
easy front end to Linux to widen it's appeal. I am particularly
interested in seeing something available for charities to use as a
stable, cheap and therefore cost-effective way of providing file and
printer services, mail and Internet access to support their work.
However at the present, with it's rather dense interface I cannot see
that being viable. I realise the value of the infinite configurability
that the infinite number of configuration files gives you, but it is
almost impossible (as well as daunting) for an inexperienced user to
work out what to tweak and how.

I would also consider that the help system needs to be looked at quite
seriously. I believe that there are packages out there that make them
more user friendly, but there must be a better way to provide help than
man pages and the less command?

I think that Linux has a great deal to offer to those who want a good
solid OS with a wide range of applications. AFAIK it doesn't have
anything like Exchange or Notes supported on it, but I suspect that the
number of organisations needing that sort of application within my area
of interest are rather limited.

Ian W
Karachi, Pakistan                             email: ianw@cyber.net.pk

- --
debian-user-request@lists.debian.org .

------- End of Forwarded Message

     Erik Walthinsen <omega@seul.org> - SEUL Project system architect
        __
       /  \                SEUL: Simple End-User Linux -
      |    | M E G A            Creating a Linux distribution
      _\  /_                         for the home or office user