[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
SEUL: Installation process
Here is a little sketch of how the installation process
could look like (to point out the stages more clearly):
1. "enough partition-free space on HD for GNU/Linux" ?
yes : goto
no : step 3
2. Create partition-free space on HD:
(Either using a temporary Linux-boot or using
- defragment partition(s)
- make partition(s) smaller
3. Linux boot disk:
"boot disk needed(see 4) but not available" ?
yes : rawrite boot-disk
no : step 4
4. Create GNU/Linux partition(s):
Boot Linux from either:
- disk + CDROM
- disk + NFS
- CDROM only (possible ?)
Create Linux partions.
Mount swap-partition if available.
5. Figure out hardware:
Obtain hardware info:
- probe if safe.
- if a Win partition exists, check out .ini and/or
files generated from the registry.
- compare info
- ask the user for missing pieces (hopefully not ;)
6. Install base & core.
7. Launch X-based installer (possibly bring in X earlier ?)
I guess I have made some mistakes here and it's not very
Please reply-to seul-dev-install _only_.