Re: SEUL: pick, pick, pick

On Tue, 1 Jul 1997, Randy Heineke wrote:

> I think FAT loopback should work for DR-DOS, FreeDOS, PC-DOS, MS-DOS,
> OS/2.  So MicroSoft is not strictly required.

Loopback should (in theory...) work for all filesystems supported by Linux
kernel.

> What about HPFS for OS/2, that Win '95 thing or NT?

vfat works, don't know about the others. vfat seems to be a kludge based on
fat which just adds extra fat entries for each file.

> BTW, I really could think of many, many situations where uninstalling is
> good.

Agreed. Uninstall is a must.

> I hear talk of Win 3.1 as "legacy".  I wonder if there are more 3.1 boxes
> than NT boxes still.  I'll bet conversions haven't amounted to very much.

When SEUL is finished, everything else will be "legacy" :)

> WINE would be cool, runs faster than Windows and doesn't crash or
> trash non MicroSoft products and  it eliminates some reasons to
> uninstall.

True, but WINE is still a long way from working perfectly for 16-bit
programs. And don't forget DirectX, ActiveX, Win32 - most newer apps require
some or all of these, unfortunately.

--
Thomas Molesworth            (thomas@bass.almac.co.uk)