Re: SEUL: Thoughts on UIs

On Wed, 2 Jul 1997, Jay Bloodworth wrote:

> Changing the subject a little bit, what do you think the SEUL UI needs?
>
> I tend to like the Mac/Win95 setup with icon(s) on the desktop
> representing the root of the filesystem(s) that can be open to give a
> window with the directory listing.  I don't much care for the approach of

Jay, have you ever seen TkDesk or Midnight Commander? I think it does
what want.

> For launching applications, I prefer a GoodStuff or Wharf like button bar,
> rather than pop up menus (though it doesn't hurt to have both).  I do
> think is important to allow the user to customize things like wallpaper
> and screen savers from an easy to use applet.  I also like the notion of
> 'themes' for customizing the look and feel of a desktop in a consistent
> way.
>
> One thing we also need to consider is desktop/network integration.

Jay I assume that you know a bit about networks, so maybe you can help
some of the rest of us.  Does NFS allow networked drives to be in the
tree? I realize there could be a lot more desktop/network than that, what
are some of the other important issues?

Regards,